Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Nice People

Today I was standing outside of a shop putting eye drops in my eyes and a woman walks by and looks at me and asks if I was ok.  It took me a minute to realize that it looked like I was crying because of the eye drops.  I told her that I was fine and we chatted for a minute about the states and why I was in London.  I find it remarkable that the Brits will stop what they are doing to make sure everything is ok with a perfect stranger.  I've been running into this often here and it really makes me happy to see that as a foreigner in this country I am treated like a local.  This trip was supposed to get us out of our "cultural bubbles" and help us become immersed in a culture unlike our own, and it really has.  I have come to realize that even though people here do things differently and speak in a different way, they are people just like we are.  I recently made friends with the bartender Steph from the Standford Arms Pub and she is as interested in American culture as I am in British culture.  I hope that we can continue to exchange ideas long after I have gone back home.    After I am home I hope to continue on the cycle of kindness that I have been shown here.  It has only been six days and I already have so many lessons to take home and share.  I am truly greatful for this opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment