Saturday, July 17, 2010

Disaster

Yesterday we didn't have class till 3, which was super exciting! Even though we had the chance to sleep in I only made it till 9:30. So I showered and then laid in my bed reading for most of the day, lame I know. We talked about As You Like It in the the cafeteria for class and then when we were done we had a meeting about all things Edinburgh. Last night we had to meet in the Courtyard at 7 to head over to The Old Vic to see As You Like It, I was super excited because it was my favorite of all the plays we read for class.

We left a little late because some people hadn't come down from their room and eventually we just left them and said they could meet us there. On the walk over Beverly and Breeanna almost got hit by a car, a regular occurence for them mind you. We were all sitting on the 1st balcony, so we had a generally good view of the stage. However I discovered when I got my ticket that I was on the opposite side of the theater from everyone else!!! Thankfully as all the seats began to fill up I discovered Lissy and Nicole were going to be sitting next to me so I wasn't totally alone. We all decided we got the short end of the stick. As the play began I was super excited, however after the first 10 mins I began recalling in my head what Act and Scene we were at because I was begging for it to be over!!

I picked out where Act 2 Scene 7 was, thankfully the intermission was right after that. My favorite part of the night was probably watching Dr. T. pretend to shoot herself in the head because it was so bad, it made me feel better to know I wasn't the only one not enjoying it. When Act 5 Secene 1 came around with Touchstone getting into a fight of wits with William I rejoiced because I knew the play was close to being over!! Essecially I spent most of the play wishing that I could leave or that it would "just end already". Only two things kept me from weeping in my seat, they were Jaques and Touchstone. Those two were actually funny and were the only two who seemed to be decent actors. Needless to say I left the theater with much less love for the play.

Today is a better day, we don't have anything planned for the day. So when I woke up this morning at 8:45 I got up and dressed into sweats so I could go do my laundry before I have to pack for Scotland and Ireland. I was putting up pics on facebook from the trip but I only got a few up before my camera died. Atleast it died here, where I can charge it, instead of in Scotland where I won't have an adaptor for it.

Hope everyone is having a great time enjoying summer.

~Bridget

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I'd agree it was a total disaster...although I concur that the actors playing Jaques and Touchstone were the best of the lot. For me, the production was so-so and occasionally slow and unvaried in tone. But I still love the play itself! :) Well, can't always get a winner. We're off to Scotland tomorrow, so focus on the positive, eh?

    See you on the bus!

    ReplyDelete